decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Saturday, January 23, 2021

Murphy's Law

 As many times as it happens to me, Murphy's Law might as well be renamed "Dorine's Law". If it can happen...it will...and usually does. Probably just coincidence, but totally happening once again. 

I had to run out to get some things to do some cooking for my girlfriend's upcoming visit. While I was out, I figured I would just take a quick run through HL and $ Tree to see if I couldn't pick up some more craft supplies to keep me busy for a few more days. As I expected, a lot of the things I was looking for were already gone so I decided to grab some things and make do. Of course, all of the substitute items are too large so, of course, I would normally run and get out the miter saw...but, we all know where this is going. I thought I was at a stalemate but then I realized that the signs that I am re-making are just chip board and, yes, luckily they cut very easily with just a straight edge, a box cutter and a bit of sand paper. Since it is now a rainy Saturday, I decided to give it a start.

I know it looks like I am only doing St. Patrick's Day with this stash but, all of the Valentines stuff was completely sold out so I am going to improvise.


Once it was cut, I popped off the tin shamrock that was glued on and it took some of the paper sign with it. I went ahead and sanded it all pretty well but, I could not get that area smooth and, since I was afraid that it might cause bubbles when I Mod Podged on the scrap book paper, I decided to give it a coat of black chalk paint and use it as the back...and, the only reason I went to that trouble was that I wasn't sure where or how this completed project would be displayed so, just in case...


Then, I painted the other pieces as well...


...made the bow, decoupaged on the paper and gathered it all together.


 The last step was a trip to my trusty glue gun. I really wasn't even sure how I was going to set this up but I kind of like it. Is it my favorite ever craft? Absolutely not, but, it served its purpose. Once again it kept me busy for awhile.

I did think about letting the kids make these but I'm guessing that by the time I next get to a Dollar Tree, most of the necessary pieces will be gone as well.

I also think that the letters are a bit too small but, they are glittered and pretty in person. They are just stickers so, easily removed. If I find any I like better, it will be a simple swap out.

So, here is where it has landed for now. I will probably try a few other spots after lunch...but, for now, I'm hungry so it has found a home.


I'm still debating how I will do the one for St. Patrick's Day so that will be for another post. Stay safe and stay tuned.

Just a P.S. On my way to the kitchen I had to pass my baker's rack. I haven't liked the top shelf since I did it, so voila! From too low and empty...

...to just right. What do you think?






No comments:

Post a Comment