decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Tuesday, December 17, 2019

So Many Santas, So Little Time

I have always had an affinity to Santas. I especially love the vintage looking Santas. For years, family and friends have gifted me with Santas. And, for many years, I made Santas to gift to others. A few years ago, I decided I had hit my limit and I actually got rid of some that I had just purchased and didn't have a special meaning. For a year or two, I cut back with how many I actually displayed but couldn't bring myself to part with them...and boy am I glad that I didn't. For some reason, this year, I craved my Santas again.

I know decorators will say to put all of your collection together in one place and to not spread them out around your home but, quite honestly, I have way too many to do that without making it look like a store...and, I decorate with what I like and very seldom listen to decorating rules - much to my two decorator daughters' dismay. If I like it, I do it! It is my house and I'm not letting any design police in any time soon so I feel confident I'm safe from decorating jail!

In any case, I decided to go around and see how many of the Santas I made are still around. Here are the ones I found.

I remember I found the pattern for this guy in a magazine...probably Woman's Day or Family Circle?


A friend gifted me with a Santa similar to this and I liked him so much, I made a bunch to give to family and friends that year. He is mad out of papier mache' clay.


I think I saw these guys at a craft fair and ran home and whipped some up out of canvas and some texturizing paint.


I was all about antique candy molds back then...I actually did wax figures for almost every holiday I could find a mold for. I poured beeswax into the molds and then after they were hardened, I painted them.


Another friend gifted me a similar batting Santa and I borrowed her idea and made a bunch of these cuties.


I found the idea for this guy at a huge country Christmas show my friends and I used to attend every year. He is mad out of velvet wrapped dowels, faux fur and wavy, white hair..


This one is from the year I was obsessed with all things Bingo card and ephemera.


I love these Santas. They are just made out of felt and braid embellishment.


I almost forgot this guy. He is from way back when my eyes were so much better and I had some piece of counted cross stitch always in the works.



And, as I was looking through old blogs, I saw a few of my Christmas pictures that I forgot to get out this year. When I went in search of them, I came across all of the old cross stitch Santas I used to make. They put out a new pattern every year and I was so faithful...until life just got in the way. I think I even continued to buy the patterns for a few years thinking I would eventually get time again to get back to a favorite pastime but, alas, I never did.

And, because I have suddenly developed my love of all things Santa again, I decided I wanted them out. The last time they were on display, they were nailed all around the door frame in the sunroom.
 but, I never really liked that and so they got put up...until now. I walked all over the house trying to decide where I could hang them when I realized I now had a ledge over some of my doors and windows...and decide to give it a try. It is a bit busier than I like but, i am happy to see them all on display once again. They're not necessarilry evenly spaced because it was simply a game of hit amd miss with the different sized frames and the up and down on the step stool got old pretty quicjkly. I did take off the hangers on the back so they would lean a bit better and then I got my old PlastiTac from teacjing days and kind of got a big glob on each one. Hoping they don't fall on anyone's head if somwone closes a door in the sunroom!






Sorry for my trip down memory lane but I am realizing more and more every year how much I am truly steeped in tradition. I have never been one to like change but especially at this time of year. I love all of the beautiful new palettes that people are using for Christmas...just not in my house. I somehow just can't break from what is old and comfy...nor do I want to,

Hope everyone is having a wonderful pre-Christmas season and enjoying all of things still left to do. I know I am. Heading off to watch a Christmas movie while I make another list-and check it twice! Lol Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment