decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Monday, December 9, 2019

HoHoHo

I really can't believe that Christmas is just 16 days away. I am so behind this year but keeping my fingers crossed that by the time this weekend comes, I will have a bit of a better handle on things. I am taking it one day at a time and enjoying the ride because it is coming one way or the other.

I finally got my decorating done so let's start the tour.





I changed this area up a bit. I put some different foliage in the basket and brought out the antique train lantern and the balustrade with one of my old Santas sitting on top. The vintage mailbox is back with the letter to Santa ready to go!


If you look very carefully at the basket, you can see some very thin wire. That is a set of the little fairy lights that might be becoming my new best friend. Not only do they hide so much better than wired lights but, they are battery powered with a timer and different twinkle functions. I love how at about 5:30 every evening, my house just starts to glow...and, right about bedtime, everything just turns itself off. No more candles left burning over night.




This wreath usually hangs over the mantle in the family room but I brought it in here this year and gave it a bit of an update. My mom, sister-in-law and I made these wreaths many, many years ago on the day after Thanksgiving. We had seen something very similar at a favorite country boutique but the price was ridiculous! Theirs was a toy wreath and we started out that way but ended up bringing our own special ornaments and favorite things to add. My greenery was looking a bit sad so I bought some new pine this year and not only added it but got rid of the pathetic holly leaves that had more than seen their best days!  I like the way it hangs over the Santa cross stitch that I did where Santa has many of the same toys in his sack.


It was very hard to get a good picture of the wreath as there is either a flash back from the mirror or I am in the mirror. There are literally ornaments on this wreath that were on the tree I always had in my room as a little girl...oh so many years ago. One still has the 10 cent price stamped on the bottom. That ought to give you an idea just how long ago that was!





My dough bowl has the last of the glass ornaments left from both my and my husband's family trees. Not too many have survived the years so I'm glad I was able to fill in with some of the newer "old" ornaments.








So, that is pretty much this year's living room. If you peek out the front window, you will see the icicle lights hanging down. I had kind of decided that I was running too late this year to mess with hanging them but daughter #3 and her family had something else in mind. They invited me to the Appleton Museum for a family day (my oldest grand son and his dad were in Orlando for a lacrosse tournament) so we headed out in the morning. After the museum, we headed downtown for lunch and dessert and then off we went to Lowes to find me a tree. Tall, full trees were NOWHERE to be found on Saturday, so I bit the bullet and went with a smaller one...and with perfect timing, the Orlando duo got home just in time to put my tree in the back of their truck.

The Appleton Family Day consists of all sorts of things for the family-and, especially kids-to do but it started as a display of nutcrackers, Christmas villages and all sorts of other Christmas collectibles amassed by a local family. They used to display these things in their home and open on part of the historic home tour but quickly outgrew their home and moved to the museum. It is a collection that fills about 3-4 rooms here.


The goofballs are pretending to be nutcrackers in this picture.








Then, after getting the furniture moved and the tree in its stand, they made me get out my outside lights. With 2 extra ladders from my neighbor and help from everyone, we went in several different directions and the lights were up. That was such a happy surprise because it is literally an all day job when I do it myself.


And so, I am beginning to feel a bit more prepared. I till haven't started shopping-and don't really even have any ideas- but with the house and yard feeling all "Christmasy", I'm sure I will get with the program. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment