decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Tuesday, December 17, 2019

Getting So Excited!

As always happens, although I'm always somewhat doubtful it will, plans are starting to come together for this year's family Christmas. With all of my grand children getting older and having more and more responsibilities of their own, I'm never sure if we will all be able to gather and, if we can, when that might take place.

As it turns out, this year will be very similar to years in the past. Everyone will have Santa arrive at their own homes and then they will head here. 15 people in the family, 2 guests, 4 dogs, many, many vehicles, gifts, food items...and a partridge in a pear tree! Lol My house will be bursting at the seams and I can't think of anything I would love more. As much as I love my house all decked out in its holiday glory, I have no problem with all of its order being turned upside down as family, friends and fur babies arrive!

But, before that happens, let's go ahead and take a look at the family room...I'm so glad it is this big-with the furniture all moved back to the walls-so everyone will have a spot for the chaos to begin! Even though the kids are older, they still love the tradition of keeping all of the wrappings until they're done opening presents so they can get under it all and burst through...just as my girls did oh so many years ago-and still sometimes do joining in with the"littles".


My cousin always makes me an ornament every year and if you were to walk around my house, you could probably find them all. Most are on my tree but others are in vignettes also just because they are so special. But, this tree made out of Christmas patterned yoyos and made for our 50th anniversary has to be my all-time favorite!


I moved this Santa picture into the family room this year swapping it with the toy wreath that is now in the living room. With the windows, sky lights and my flash, it is impossible to get a picture without the shine.


I usually have this coffee table full of decor but with everyone coming into this room for presents, I know we will need lots of surfaces for food and drinks...even this will probably end up getting moved.

 



This is the over flow area from pictures that don't fit in the TV center...and, this year, I had to move all of the Nutcracker pictures into my bedroom because I no longer have the faux fireplace shelf topper now that I have my favorite console table in the dining room. Lucky for me, I have a really long dresser and they all made the cut. Lol





This year's tree is the smallest I have ever had. There was not one tree available over 8' when I had my helpers and a truck available. I chose this guy who has a pretty decent shape and was seemingly pretty fresh and did lots of "creative" assembling. I have it up on a riser that my hubby made years ago made with 4X4s and then I jerry rigged another layer of 4X4 pieces left over from my wood pumpkins...and, I went to HL and found the biggest tree topper I could find to take your eye up to the ceiling...where the tree usually hits. Lol I will admit, it was a bit "traumatic" (haha) but I'm learning to live with it. Just prating next year's crop of trees is a bit better!

To make matters worse, I had to throw out a bunch of lights - that were new last year - that only half lit but weren't yet on the tree. Since then, another half of a set has gone out-on the tree. I thought of trying to weave some new ones in there but with all of the ornaments, there was just no way so I'm once again just over looking the obvious and taking joy in what is still there! Sidebar: daughter #2 was here to spend the day with me yesterday and we hit Lowes and I grabbed many, many new strings of LEDs for next year. When this tree comes down, it will totally be "out with the old"!



So that is the family room for this year. Fingers crossed it will be a bit cooler on Christmas. I can guarantee you there WILL be a fire in the fireplace no matter what...and hopefully out in the chiminea that night. Can't wait. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment