decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Friday, July 26, 2019

Wrapping It Up

I have been so busy lately with my painting and decorating projects that I think I forgot to finish our late summer decor tour...and, since I'm already starting to think about leaves and pumpkins, I might better get to it. So, on to the family room.









This is one of the few times of year that there isn't a string of some kind of lights on the mantle. I do miss them in the evenings when I'm in my chair watching TV but with the amount of candles I now have (and these are just the battery operated ones-Lol), the glow is still pretty.


I wasn't kidding about the planning of my next decor-you know I am always jumping the gun-especially when that means the next change will be to autumn leaves and pumpkins. But, I did have a few small projects to still get accomplished before I could really focus on autumn decor.

And, for some reason, the measurement and leveling gods were with me today. I think we have established more than once that I am not good at measuring! And, in my defense, what with my eyes, my back and only having two hands when four (or six) would really come in handy, things like hanging curtain rods and shelves are a challenge-if I want them level and equal distance-which I do because I'm just a little (OK, alot) OCD when it comes to things like that.

In any case, I really had to do some figuring to decide how I would measure and from where to get the shelf over the bed hung and centered and level. I had to measure from the wall to the right and then do lots of adding and subtracting-don't judge.


I ended up measuring from the ceiling down and knew that was a risk because so many times the ceiling isn't level. But, I just took a leap and, even with all of my convoluted "ciphering", it came out perfectly level-on the first try...and centered. I must be living right. The stuff I have on the shelf is not staying-it's just hanging until I get a better direction of what I want. I'm actually in no hurry for that now that that big wall feels a little more balanced. And, I think the white brackets and wood toned shelf play in just right with the two different colors of furniture in this room.


I'm thinking this bed will probably be used as a day bed as much as a sleeping bed since the kids love to play video games and watch movies in here so I wanted to make sure I left enough room between the pillows and shelf so no heads get bumped. I'm also starting to think maybe a sign with a quote about family would be perfect for that shelf...HL, here I come.

 
I was also stymied as to a valance over the window. The window butts up exactly to the edge of the cabinet so a decorative rod with any overhang is out of the question. I thought about making a wood valance covered with fabric but still wasn't sure I wanted to spend that much time, effort and money for something that still might not look right.

I figured a fabric valance would be OK on a simple metal rod but, the size of the window would have necessitated a seam even with decorator fabric at 54". I had resigned myself to finding fabric that I could run in the opposite direction and buying 2 yards but that also would not be an inexpensive solution to something I still might not like.

In the end, I was strolling through Target when I saw a window valance of the exact size and in a texture that mimics the fabric on one of the pillows. I decided to give it a try. I know it is too long but I'm waiting to hem it until decorator daughter sees it. She may think I just need to raise up the rod? It is NOT perfect by any means but the top of the window is covered and it was a pretty easy fix so it can work until something better comes along. And, I will iron it after I see if it needs hemming or not. It may even look nice with a bit of blush colored trim added-we shall see.


There was one other little project still not done as well...the bar stools and little curtain in the kitchen. My daughter thought the "wrong" side of the fabric would look better because of the love seat at the end of the dining room-and, I agree. Too much green on the "right" side.

It was fun to see that this is the fourth time I redid these stools. I wish I had taken a picture of the first two fabrics because I truly don't know what I was thinking back then! Lol




And, I got the baskets for my office sprayed white-between the rain drops that just don't want to go away.


There is always another project waiting but I think I am going to call it a day for now and sit back and enjoy the rain while watching a movie. It is Friday after all. I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend and I'll be back soon. Stay tuned.




No comments:

Post a Comment