decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Sunday, July 16, 2023

Spring, Spring Beautiful Summer?

I knew I had some work to do out in the yard. The heat and the summer storms have kind of limited my efforts...apparently for a lot longer than I had realized. I actually thought I had kept up to date on things through the spring...and I really don't remember. But, I am more liable to think that I may not have as I remember all of the things we had going in May with so many celebrations.

In any case, things that I thought I had done, I guess I hadn't...and so, yesterday turned into a much larger project than even I had imagined.

Traditionally, I clean the gazebo and all of the gazebo and pool furniture from top to bottom every spring after pollen is done...and, I always recover the seat cushions on the gazebo chairs. That wasn't done this year. Then, the jasmine-and I have a lot of it in many places around the yard-needs cutting back about every 3-4 months. The gutter by the rain chain seems to block more often than others. And, my pool float always needs a refresh every season. Not to mention WEEDS, WEEDS and more WEEDS! And edging. And cutting back the tea olives 2-3 times a year. And so, at one point yesterday, this is what my yard looked like.

All clean and ready to float again.

I really trimmed this jasmine this time. Maybe that will hold it for a little bit longer! The colors you see above my gate are from the largest water slide I have ever seen in a yard. My neighbors are having a birthday party for one of their children and the kids are having so much fun on that thing. I wish I had their energy. I've been watching them climb up and slide down for hours and it is so nice to hear the happy shouts of children on the circle once again!

Everything in the gazebo was covered many times over with pollen. It was hard to tell what color anything was actually supposed to be. And, the cushions were obviously not done since last year. Look how much the fabric fades over the course of a year even though they are under cover.

And, look at that pile of fabric that I STILL have after recovering these things for probably 30 years. All I remember is that a fabric store here in town-back when we still had stores that sold only fabric-was going out of business and selling upholstery fabric for next to nothing. I bought all they had of many patterns-including this one-to possibly make drapes or reupholster something. I guess I never did either because this fabric has been here every time I needed it for these cushions...and probably will be for as long as I might need it! Lol

So I kept at it until almost everything in this part of the yard was done. It was SO hot but I used my old scheme of just walking into the pool with my clothes on and floating around until I had cooled off. Then it was back to it until I needed another break. Of course, this scheme only works if I am staying behind closed fence-Lol 

And when the last thing was put away, I was ready to reap the benefits my my hard work. I must say that I love a day like this. I felt very accomplished and had NO trouble (or guilt) wiling away the rest of the afternoon. 

 


And, except for about 10 raindrops early in the morning, yesterday was a perfectly sunny day-the first in quite awhile. I was hoping for the same today so I could tackle a few more things but it isn't starting off as lucky so here I am inside and catching you up on me. Sorry it's not more exciting. Stay safe and stay tuned.




No comments:

Post a Comment