decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Friday, October 4, 2024

Another One of "Those" Days

 So, after five days of blood, sweat and almost tears-aka Halloween decorating-I decided to give myself the day off. Since it's Friday, that makes it an even better day. I knew I wasn't going to do anything I didn't want to do so that sure limited my to-do list. Lol But, I'm not one to just sit around all day either so I went looking for any little thing I have been thinking about that I now had the time for. The two things I've come up with so far are really a stretch but they make me happy. 

The first involves one of the velvet pumpkins that I made many, many years ago. They were all the rage back then and I wanted to make some in every color. The only problem was that I live in a relatively small city and velvet was not easy to come by back then. I thought I was lucky to find what I did-and, this was before the age of shopping on Amazon.

I made them in gold, brown, evergreen, beige and orange-bright orange. And, of course, I made more orange than the other colors. I have used them in many different ways over the years but that bright orange has always bothered me. Then, I happened upon a post on Pinterest that had beautiful velvet pumpkins to buy and there it was! Just the prettiest rusty kind of orange that I wanted. And so, I decided to try giving just one of my orange pumpkins a coffee bath. I chose one the size that I had multiples of just in case something went wrong. But, it did exactly what I wanted...it toned it down just enough. Since I am not using the velvet pumpkins in my Halloween decor, I just did the one but if they come back out for Thanksgiving I will be setting up an assembly line. 



In these pictures the change is subtle but in person it is perfect! It is just a richer orange!

And then as I was putting a small ceramic cauldron onto the shelf, I realized that I don't really use it as a serving piece-although it would be perfect for a dip-because I have so many other things I use. And then it hit me! Why not swap out the little vintage witch that I did in a $Tree cauldron for this one? This would definitely give the piece more presence and I thought it might appear more permanent than the little plastic one-and I was right.

Here's the before:


And here's the after:



I don't know why that makes me so happy but it does! So that's it. I think I will now give myself permission to sit down, put my feet up and watch a movie! Stay safe and stay tuned.


No comments:

Post a Comment