decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Monday, March 13, 2023

When Irish Eyes....

 



 Irish eyes were smiling but no where near as wide as the smile on my face this weekend! We had planned a fun weekend with my grand daughter and her best friend and I kind of thought the boys might want to avoid the girls this weekend-it would be like being around two sisters instead of just the one you're used to. The girls arrived early and we did our obligatory photo op and then they were off to make their decoupaged plates. This is a favorite of Presley's and she could literally make one very time she is here! While their plates were drying, we started prepping for lunch. First order of business was to paint the tortillas for their cheese quesadillas and then make the rainbow fruit kabobs.



I think I have posted that Presley asked me to invite Olivia for this weekend because she wanted her to experience the chaos fun that goes on. Lol And, she didn't want to do any of the simpler things we have kind of resorted to in recent years-she wanted the good, old-fashioned , complicated menus. Which in this case really meant no easy peasy leprechaun sandwiches but the tortillas and, no just green pasta but the dreaded rainbow pasta...and, of course, the pot o' gold garlic bread and the Shamrock Shake cake!

And so, with that in mind, the girls hit the kitchen and started the cookies and then a bit later, the cake. Both of these girls are good bakers and love doing it, so I pretty much just got to give them them the recipes and let them go...no settling fights between siblings as to whose turn it is to be on the stool, break the eggs, turn the mixer on and off, etc. Lol

 And, taste testing is always required!

While things were in the ovens, I brought out all of the craft supplies and a few of the photo holders from past years to spur on their imagination. Even that was totally unnecessary. It was so much fun to see these girls go in totally different directions and make things I had not even thought of. Of course, by the time they were done, I think we had pulled out about every craft supply or tool I have and were well on our way to pulling out every pot, pan and bowl in the kitchen!




We were just in the middle of "Green" Scattergories when the doorbell rang and here came Harrison, Hudson and Har's girlfriend. Since Har has now officially accepted his appointment to the U.S. Coast Guard Academy and will be leaving in June, the boys wanted to squeeze in one more "weekend at Nana's" and this Nana could not have been happier. We quickly put all of them to work as well prepping dinner. 

I think we may have decided that this time we will officially put the rainbow spaghetti to "bed". It is very fun but getting all of the spaghetti dyed into the different colors and then arranged on the plates is a challenge-and I think we have accepted that challenge for the last time! Lol Never-the-less, dinner was fun and colorful to say the least! We had the spaghetti with alfredo or pesto sauce, pot o' gold garlic bread, the salad with shamrock cheeses and cucumbers and "trees of Ireland". And, of course for dessert, the beautiful cake. I did add the extra "leprechauns to the cake after they arrived but I forgot to get another picture. And yes, I am the crazy lady who has extra family leprechauns "just in case"!




After dinner, they all wanted to watch a movie and when that was over-which was pretty late and I'm just remembering that we were going to lose an hour-the older kids headed home and the girls and I were off to bed.

The girls slept pretty late the next morning so I got the table ready for breakfast before they woke up. And, this year I just gave them their "end of the rainbow" gifts as table favors and didn't make them do the scavenger hunt to find them. The boys got the same things also but the girls got some added green nail polish and shamrock scrunchies to help them ward off pinches on the 17th!

Breakfast was pretty simple. We went with green eggs, shamrock biscuits, bacon and fruit.





 After lunch, which was literally after NOON, the girls got the cookies they made and wrapped them up on their plates to deliver home to their families.




And, apparently they did this when I wasn't looking-although I do remember Presley asking if they could use my camera.



And, before I knew it, the doorbell was ringing again and my grandsons were here to pick up the girls and deliver them home. The furry one is staying with me while daughter #3 and her family are off to Park City skiing for spring break once again. Hopefully this time, no one comes home with any broken bones.

Hazel and I were planning to work out in the yard today but we woke up to storms and the rain looks like it will continue to come pretty hard most of the day so we are just taking it easy and doing little things that catch my eye! And, truth be told, I could still use a bit of catching up after my very busy but fun weekend!

I think I have just a bit more to share of the house tour before the day arrives and then I am on to Easter. I have been looking back over the past years' Easter decor and it is really one of my least favorites. The colors are not my colors and things just don't read as I would like them to. I'm thinking I might take a leap and paint all of my white bunnies this year...not sure, just starting to get some ideas. I will have it all out in front of me soon so we will see. Stay safe and stay tuned. 








No comments:

Post a Comment