decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Saturday, August 7, 2021

Flying by the Seat of My Pants!

This has been a busy week. We ended up doing grand daughter #5's birthday dinner at my house. We had lots of unexpected people come into town to help her celebrate and it was fun! She decided on sushi for dinner so my son-in-law headed to her favorite little sushi restaurant and bought out the place. I will admit, I'm not a sushi fan but I chose vegetable tempura and it was delicious...especially with the yum yum sauce!

She requested a homemade red velvet cake, so that is what she got!

And, since the virus is raging again, we decided that the candles would be put out with a waft of her card instead of her breath. Lol


Then on Friday I was at their house for a friends' party. All she wanted was a few of her school friends and everything very low key. After the years of putting together the most elaborate parties ever-first for my kids and then for my other grands...and actually this one too when she was younger-simpler was definitely easy to pull off! She didn't want any games-just swimming, outdoor movie, pizza and red velvet cupcakes, more swimming and s'mores to end the night.




And of course while I was there, I had to snap a picture of the newest family member. It looks like she has made herself right at home!


So that brings me to today. It is too hot out there to do any of the things I really want to do so, instead, I decided to find some sort of craft I could try. I really was flying by the seat of my pants but, I had seen someone print an image on tissue paper. They then went on to do some elaborate, framed item but I wanted to try to use supplies I had and keep it a bit simpler.

I am looking for something to do as a family/friend Halloween gift this year and, honestly, while I still use orange and black in my decorating, a lot of my family has kind of switched to more neutral colors.

Keeping that in mind...and also looking at the stack of old wood fence slates that I cut awhile ago sitting next to me on my desk, I had an idea.

Supplies were gathered. You can see that I already ran a copy of a Halloween image on a piece of tissue paper. All I did was tape the tissue onto a plain piece of paper so it went easily through the printer.

I gave the wood a good coat of black chalk paint....


...followed by a dry brush coat of white chalk paint.


It was actually quite a surprise when I saw how closely the image matched the board when I put it on top to check sizing.


Then it was just a matter of ModPodging the print to the board and letting it dry.


As much as I wanted to add some orange to the mix, I stuck with just black and white ribbon and yarn and really like the way it turned out.


This is definitely a contender...we shall see. Even if I don't decide to use this as this year's gift, at least I have a new little shelf sitter for myself. Stay safe and stay tuned.



No comments:

Post a Comment