decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Wednesday, August 11, 2021

Desperate Times Call For Desperate Measures!

Those of you who read my blog often are probably getting tired of hearing how much I dislike this time of year. It is just not for me. I live in Florida and I have a pool but, it is even too hot to be in that at certain times of the day!

I also love being in my garden and maintaining my yard...but that is almost am impossibility this time of year. I have been trying to get a few things accomplished before they get too far ahead of me but I swear I have been on the verge of heat stroke more than once!

I have done little bits here and there as I could but today I decided that I had to tackle something that was really bothering me. You might remember my post about my pool slide. It was a long story but, in the end, I thought I had won and somehow managed to get my very old, stained slide looking almost new again. I also knew that I had done some unorthodox things to make that happen and that it may not last forever but I certainly thought I would at least make it through this summer.

You can imagine my disappointment when, after a month of pretty routine afternoon rains, It looked as bad, if not worse, than it did before I started.

I was pretty sad about it because it had been a lot of work but, I don't usually give up too easily and so, the other day when I was actually floating around in the pool, I reached up and gave the slide a good rub and noticed that the new stains would come off with a bit of a scrub.  I decided toady was the day and I would head out there as soon as it got light. Holy cow. Even though the thermostat wasn't all that high, the humidity was bad. I scrubbed and scrubbed and still couldn't get it all off so I resorted to my good old Clorox spray. I gave it a good douse, let it sit a bit and then scrubbed again and rinsed it with clear water. It looks so much better and I survived the heat. I also managed to get in some weeding while the bleach was working. Of course now I will have to go back and give it another good coat of paste wax...but, that will be for another early morning.

And so now I am back in the house and deciding that I have to find something to do in here to keep my mind off of all still needing to be done outside. I have this small paper mache' box that I got at Dollar Tree and I still have another of the black taper candles that I bought so, I am going to kind of do something that I saw on a site I follow. I wasn't really crazy about it.  Hence the reason that I didn't jump right on it but, if it will keep me busy, I'm game!

This was even easier than I had anticipated. I gathered the supplies...


...using spray adhesive, I covered the bottom of the box...


...and then the top. I then cut out a hole to fit my candle.


I really wasn't sure how I wanted to embellish it but, since I love the vintage feel of Halloween so much, I used my antique tinsel around the edge and also around the hole. I had to really convince myself to do this because this is Bethany Lowe tinsel and I have used it in many places over the years but, it just felt right here so I went with it! And, I think I am glad I did. 


Is this my all-time favorite craft? Not by a long shot. But, I do think I can find a place for it nestled in with the other vintage decor and the candle light might just help to brighten up a dark corner of a shelf somewhere.

That's all I've got for today. I'm fighting the urge to change my decor just yet but, if I don't come up with some other ideas, that is next on the docket! Stay safe and stay tuned. 

Oh, today was the first day of school so I just have to share the picture of my three youngest off for the day. Their dog is looking so sad because she knows she'll be spending a lot more time alone now that summer break is over!



 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment