decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Wednesday, April 14, 2021

Who Knew?

 So I think I learned something new...something that maybe everybody else already knew. But, it has opened up a whole new world to me...or at least a whole lot of nice, empty space.

As almost always happens with me, as I am in the middle of one task I get side tracked to another. And so, as I was decorating for spring-with the main object usually to make the house lighter and cleaner looking to welcome in the freshness of the season-I walked into my bedroom and was "suddenly" hit by the heaviness of my bed. I actually had to look all the way back to 2010 to find the pictures of when I made the dust ruffle, so you know I have been looking at this "heaviness" for a long time.

I guess it is fine for the autumn and winter months, but I wanted a lighter feel to the room for spring. If truth be told, I put the dust ruffle on the bed because that bed is high...and there is TONS of space under it. And, for many years it served me well hiding all kinds of large seasonal items. But then one day, kind of just like this, I decided I needed to empty it out so I could vacuum under there. I'm guessing that I did that during our cooler months so the idea of removing the ruffle never struck...until it did.

So, here are the pictures from 2010 when the ruffle was new. I bought the gold ruffle because I loved it so much. Since my bed is so high and this ruffle didn't come any longer, I added on the taupe colored material and I was good to go!



As with so many of my projects, the simple doesn't always hold true. It seems like I could just take off the ruffle and be good to go again. Except for the fact that our new mattress and box spring came with a BLACK box spring. I had never seen this before although now it seems like the norm. I didn't like it then but, I knew it would be covered by the ruffle so I honestly never thought about it again...until now. I did not want that black box spring sticking out like this.

Sorry about the sheet. All of my other sheet sets are deep enough but, since I had just put this one on, I didn't have it in me to change it again just for a photo. Lol Any way, that black was just not going to cut it.

And so, I asked decorator daughter #3 and, who knew, they make box spring covers just for this purpose. She said I could also just cover it with another fitted sheet but, that would have necessitated taking off the mattress and that thing is JUST TOO HEAVY to move if not absolutely necessary. And, thanks to this little cutie that she ordered for me, it wasn't absolutely necessary!

I'm still not sure I'm 100% OK with seeing the box spring but, because these days I'm usually just making the bed with the duvet and keeping the spread folded at the bottom, it just looks so much better!

And, since it stretches, it can can "slipped" on over the mattress and down on to the box spring in one "easy" move. Well, not so much "slipped"...more like TUGGED and not so much "easy" as I had to get under the bed and pull down on that thing for all I was worth but, it was accomplish-able and I DID accomplish it! Yay me!!!

And now the room just looks so much lighter and airier. And, if I decide to put the ruffle back for the colder months, I can easily slip it on without removing the cover. Who knew?! At least I didn't but I'm happy I learned.

Look how much light comes through even under the bed!

I'm off to take some more pictures while the sun is out but I will be back with more of the spring tour. Right now I'm just embracing my giddy self for all that I have learned today. Lol Stay safe and stay tuned.






No comments:

Post a Comment