decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Friday, April 16, 2021

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly!

So, the "good" is the fact that everything that is getting pressure washed in the back yard this year is now done. The "bad" is that right soon after I got it all done, we had a lovely day of LOTS of rain and it washed a lot of dirt back on things so right now, it doesn't totally look like I did anything. But, the "UGLY" has to be my pool slide!!!

I will be honest. We had the diving board taken out a few years ago when it got very loose and my pool guy wouldn't repair it any longer. I guess diving boards are no longer a "thing" because of liability. And, I am about ready to do the same with the slide. For the last I don't know how many years, I can no longer even get it clean with the pressure cleaner. I can get the pollen off but there are all kinds of molds (?) that have taken hold into the fiberglass because it is no longer smooth. As I have done some reading on the subject, I have learned that apparently I was supposed to be keeping the slide up in some way. No one ever told me that and this pool has been here for 38 years! That is a lot of years of sun and elements.

In any case, when I mentioned taking it out my youngest grands were not happy. They have a pool but it doesn't have a slide and, I will say, they do love mine when they're swimming over here.

And so, I relented and decided to look for a compromise. There are new slides to be had but, they are EXPENSIVE! There are also re-finishing processes but, once again, they are expensive. If my grands were just little, I probably would have looked into the re-finishing more closely, but, they're growing up quickly and the days of just hanging at Nana's are getting fewer as their responsibilities increase! 

And so, it was on to plan C. I decided to clean it real well and try to paint it. When I went to get the paint, there wasn't enough of the pretty blue shade I would have used so, I decided that it is my pool and I can be rogue if I want...and I bought lots of taupe! I figured it might better match the deck and not stick out as much.

As soon as I sprayed the smallest, little area, I knew I would hate it if I went any further. And so, I grabbed a piece of sand paper to get it off as quickly as I could. And, in doing so, I discovered that the sandpaper took off a lot of that mold.

And so, plan D was established. I will go out there right now and say that this is definitely not the preferred way to re-do a pool slide. But, for me, if it buys me even another year or two, I am happy.

The weather isn't co-operating so I haven't finished the sanding but you can definitely see the difference. It doesn't get all of the mold. I'm sure it could if you sanded down far enough but then who knows what you would get to? Lol

So, I sanded and then put on a really heavy coat of paste wax...and, before I had the chance to buff any of it, it started raining. I really don't think that will be an issue. I think I will probably put on several thick coats of wax, buff it a bit and call it a day!


 You can definitely see here where I started and stopped.

It is so not perfect but so, so much better!!! I might even try a bit more sanding between the coats of wax. The bottom line is that I can now sit out there in the evenings without my eye constantly going to the "bad" and my grand children can enjoy another summer of the slide. Sounds like it worked out perfectly! 

All of my other outdoor chores are on hold so I'm off to look for an indoor project...one that I WANT to do. Lol Otherwise, there are always some movies waiting for me as the rain comes down. Stay safe and stay tuned.



No comments:

Post a Comment