decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Wednesday, November 27, 2019

Thanksgiving Eve and All Through the House...

I know I am saying this all too frequently these days but, where has the time gone? I just realized that it is Thanksgiving eve and I have family beginning to arrive today and I haven't even finished my Thanksgiving home tour for you.

In my defense - if I even need one - I have been so busy with lots of fun things. We had a little 12th birthday celebration for Hud here at my house ( while their house is without walls, floors, ceilings, etc. ), got to celebrate my brother's birthday here which ended with a number of us heading out to see " A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood" followed by dinner at a favorite restaurant, had Presley here for a day of fun, got my chair covers finished (thanks mostly to my SIL ), got lots of yard work and fence repairs done and just finished up lots of little things on my to-do list.

I know most of you are busy with your holiday meal prep - which I am off to do soon as well - but I want to get this last bit of the tour down for posterity so, next year when I don't remember what went where, I will have this as reference.

Let's start in the family room. Just a few minor changes from last year.










As happens so often these days, everyone is moving on to Christmas so early that autumn things go on closeout well before the season is close to being over. And, many times I just happen to be in the right place at the right time. Everyone knows I love my autumn leaves and, every year I think I need more but I'm not willing to pay the going rate at the beginning of the season. Once again I found a total closeout of these beauties at Target and bought all that they had. Most of them are scattered throughout the house but the few I had left over went here to give this tray a little punch. I also got a beautiful table runner and a new, lush autumn leaf garland to replace my meager straggly one from so many years ago...all at 80% off! Score!




 
Just a bit of a nod to the day in both bathrooms.







And just a quick peek to show you the day Towanda came for another visit...funny how it is that the day after she visits, I can hardly stand upright...but the feeling of accomplishment far out weighs the pain. Lol I didn't get a shot of the fence before I started but, there were about 10 slats that were rotted about 8" up on the bottom and I was afraid some of my visiting grand dogs might see it as an opportunity to look under and then dig out. I will say, that I now realize this fence was worth every bit of the exorbitant price we paid for it many, many years ago. It was a custom build and definitely built to last. The nails holding this thing together were as strong as the day they went in. I was out there with a huge crow bar, sledge hammer, regular hammers, screw drivers and anything else I could find to start wedging in between the slats and beams. It was a doozy of a job but I got it done. Of course, now the new slats stand out like sore thumbs but I'm guessing it won't take much of our Florida weather and they will be blending in quickly.



I also started out doing a "minor" trim on the azalea hedge in the front of my house - that stood about 4 foot tall - and ended up "cleaning out" so much old wood that they are literally now about 18" tall...but that story might be for another day.

And, as things seem to be flying off shelves so quickly these days, I grabbed a few things I thought I might want to use as tweaks for this year's Christmas decor while I was out and saw them. I really don't know how I am going to use this stuff. I just got nervous everything would be gone when I wanted it.

I did buy the mugs and the little trees to do what I have already done with them. I saw the idea on a craft group I follow and thought they might look cute tucked around the house in small spots needing a pop of the holiday. The red bottle and the jar just have some pretty Christmas picks sitting in them right now...no idea how those will end up. I also grabbed the Santa sign. He may go in a wreath? We shall see but no more thoughts of Christmas until this weekend is over.

I hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving and I will be back in December. Stay tuned.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment