decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Sunday, November 17, 2019

Seriously?!

I really never fail to surprise myself! I can let things slide for a long time but then, one day, I wake up and decide that it has been long enough. And, that is kind of how this weekend has gone. I never quite know when this mood will strike or what will set it off, but I have learned after living with "me" so long, that I had just better get out of my own way and let it happen.

In my last post, I mentioned that I noticed that I had not gotten my dining room chair covers finished. Now, the main altering part I will have to leave to my sister-in-law. I have looked at these things, but I'm just not sure how she is doing them. But, I can cut off the long ties (they were meant to tie bows but I'm not a bow kind of gal so I only needed them to be long enough for a square knot ) and hem them shorter and I can sew on some elastic straps that go under the seats to keep them from shifting so much...and, so I did. Of course, that somehow got me in my sewing cupboard where I discovered stuff from so many years past...parts of unmade Halloween costumes, leftover pieces of fabric not large enough to make anything, patterns from when my grand children were very much smaller, etc. I have looked at this stuff forever and just kept looking right past it...until I couldn't any more.

And then, there was my Thanksgiving flag. I loved that flag so much. I found it in a cute little garden shop down in Mt. Dora and paid WAY TOO MUCH for it years ago. It is one of the prettiest flags I ever found and it hung on our front porch for a number of years until, one day I looked at it and saw how faded it was. I immediately set out to find a replacement but none of these flags were any longer available. After much searching, I gave up and bought a simple replacement but it never got my love like the original one did.

I actually loved that flag so much that even though I was no longer flying it, I couldn't throw it away. And so, it has been down in that cupboard for however long. At the beginning of autumn, I saw it and pulled it out. I had the brilliant idea that maybe I could paint it and bring it back to life. But then, it just sat on my sewing desk for September, October and half of this month because, even I had to admit that that was a bit of a stretch. And, today, I decided to do it-to throw it away. But, I  just couldn't...and so, I did the next best thing. I started painting it to see if my plan would work...and work it did! Look at this beauty back in its rightful spot!


Can you see how much this had faded? I started with the pumpkin to see how it would look.
 

Quite a difference, right?


Then I moved on to the cornucopia, potato, apple and letters. I was going to do the leaves but since there were so many different greens and they really weren't too bad, I thought I might leave them until it comes down for Christmas. And, I think I might try to find a "pear" color and re-do that as well.


Here is the one that has been flying and it is OK...


...but, this beauty just makes my heart happy. I'm so glad it will be here to greet all of my guests once again. More to come. Stay tuned.


No comments:

Post a Comment