decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Sunday, October 13, 2019

More Memories Made!

Another Halloween weekend at Nana's is in the books. We have been doing these holiday weekends ever since our first grand child was about 2...so, 21 years! The grand kids-and we now have 7-come for all sorts of crafting, baking, cooking and game playing fun. For many years, it was all seven of them but, alas, as the four oldest are off to college, new careers and relationships, etc., it gets harder and harder to get them all here-especially if we are going to all get together for the "real" day. And so, I am happy with what I can get. Luckily, the three youngest live in the same town, so they have been the ones coming the last few years. I will say, I am not taking for granted that Harrison, who is 14 1/2 and in H.S., is still willing to come and add to the excitement.

This year, we had to fit in a football game right in the middle of the day, so I chose our activities and meals accordingly. And, daughter #2 came down to add an extra set of much needed hands.

Every one of these weekends has started with the witch pictures. I love to look back and see how they have gone from babes in arms to almost being too tall to fit under the arch.




Since the boys had to be at the football field early, Presley came over to get a head start on dessert. She is a good little baker and truly did this cake all on her own with her aunt and Nana as her sous chefs.


And, as usual, she had to give it the old quality control test.



After the cakes came out of the oven, the girls headed to the field. It was a picture perfect autumn football day...and, the Wildcats got another win, so a good day all around.


After getting everyone cleaned up, we were off to our first craft-the reverse tie dye that I last posted about. The kids really got into this and it worked perfectly!


 The hardest part of this whole thing was deciding when to "call" it and plunge the shirt into the water to stop the bleaching progress. They all chose pretty well and we ended up with orange instead of the "mud" color I read it could go to so quickly. 



Once the shirts were done and soaking in the vinegar rinse, each of the kids was assigned a task for our dinner prep. Presley, of course, was going to finish up her cake.


Hudson stayed busy making the eyeballs for all of our mummy and spaghetti concoctions.



This one is feeling pretty good about herself-and, rightly so. She did a fabulous job.


Harrison was in charge of making our salad spooky.


Our dinner consisted of meatball mummies...and I use that word loosely. Lol...


...spooky salad...


...eyeball spaghetti...


...and, cheesy garlic bread mummies and spooky trees (broccoli).



I think Presley may grow up to be a food stylist. Here is her very balanced plate.


She could hardly wait for the big moment.


Three, two, one...


Ta-da! We did swap out milk for water, melted butter for oil and added a splash of vanilla to the box mix. And, I will have to say, there was none of that box mix after taste that makes me never want to use the boxes. This is definitely a hack I will use again.


After dinner, we always love our Minute-to-Win-It games. This year we added a few new ones as well. This one is called Cookie Face and requires one to start with a cookie on his/her forehead and maneuver it to his/her mouth without benefit of hands...or anything else.
 

It definitely provided Aunt Key with some questionable photo ops. Lol


Oh my!!! With my big mouth, one would assume I would win...and I almost did. I got that Oreo right to the corner of my mouth when I just started laughing and Harrison took the win!


We also strung ziti pasta on spaghetti strands held in our mouths...not as easy as one would think. And, again, some silly pictures.


I'm not sure what was going on on that side of the table. While the rest of us were lucky to have three or four, Becky got almost every one of her candy corns standing on end-with none of the fudging that may or may not have gone on next to me. Lol


The kids were pretty happy with their shirts and even Harrison said he would wear it...IF, I didn't get upset if he cut off the sleeves so his arms (I think to be interpreted as "muscles) could show. Ha ha.



Since Presley was off to an overnight at the beach with a friend, we kept Sunday breakfast fast and simple...Halloween pancakes with black syrup and whipped cream ghosts.


Our last craft was an easy favorite-painted mugs.


We got quite a wonderful variety of designs.


This was the last one Presley made-totally out of her imagination. Kind of put the rest of us to shame. Since her name and the date are on the bottom, I'm guessing that is her hint that this one will go home with her.


This is always one of my favorite weekends of the year-although I think I just might say that about every holiday weekend at Nana's. Never-the-less, we made it through and now have even more wonderful family memories.

I have more decor to share so stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment