decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Friday, December 1, 2023

Running a Marathon!

 Of course, I have never run a marathon but this is what I think it might feel like if I did. I feel as if I am playing catch up and really running behind this year and so, even though I am still not completely done with my decorating and tweaking, I am going to get this year's tour going before we're so late we bump into Santa on his way!

It is SO sunny and bright today- not to mention that I think some knobs got turned on my camera on Thanksgiving that I truly have NO idea how to "fix"-so I am apologizing in advance for the pictures. Not to mention that I am really in a hurry because there are many things left to do...sorry...but, you'll get the idea. Also, I didn't really change a lot so far. I have some craft ideas lined up but really not sure when-or if- they will come to fruition so you may have seen all of this before! Lol

I usually have more poinsettias in urns outside but, we have had a few cold nights already and a quick peek at the weather says we have more in store so I am only having this one outside for now-and I drag it in every night it is going below 50 degrees. I have another live one in the house that may make its way to the porch if things change.



One big change in my decor this year is that there is NO live greenery-except for the wreath on the front door. I have been to two different places and no one had any left over branches so I just decided to go with the flow and use the faux greenery that I had. Another big change is that for the first time in my entire life-of 76 years-I will have a faux tree as well. It just gets harder and harder every year to co-ordinate heading out, picking the tree, getting it home and then getting it set up that I finally decided to bite the bullet and go faux. I headed out to see if I could find one locally and the ones around here were HORRIBLE...so, I ordered one online. Of course, I have already received notice that the delivery will be delayed from what was originally promised so...no decorated tree in this house for a bit. I am a little sad that I made this decision because I know I will miss the wonderful smell and I am just crazy enough that I really didn't mind watering it every day or the needle pick-up but, I do think in the long run I will be happy...and, if not, it will be back to the real ones next year!

In any case, the balsam and cedar candles are lit so it's beginning to feel a little bit like Christmas. Welcome...and, the basket of greenery does have a string of fairy lights the are on timer so they will come on later tonight and the twinkle is pretty mixed with all of the battery candles that will join in the fun.


I love that the quilted suit Santa kind of resembles some of the Santas on the dummy board wreath.

The red lantern is a true antique. It was given to me by my step father because he knew how much I value things like this. It was actually used by his father when he worked for a N.Y train line oh so many years ago. I really do treasure it.




My mom, sister-in-law and I made these "toy" wreaths many years ago after seeing one at a favorite country shop that was just way too expensive even though it was beautiful. We each started with a grapevine wreath base and then pulled favorite ornaments from our stashes. I love mine so much as it actually has ornaments on it that hung on my bedroom trees when I was a little girl...and, take my word for it...that was a LONG time ago! And, to make them even more special, some were "won" as prizes at my cousin's birthday party and a few others I bought at a 5&10 cent store and still have 10 cents stamped on the bottom-all the more proof that that was a LONG time ago. LOL





Do you see that bell that is in this vignette? It was a gift to me probably 4-5 years ago from daughter #3. I think she got it at Ballard Design. I will have to admit that I wasn't sure how to decorate with it but, since she is a pretty accomplished designer, I figured it must be in style somehow so I tended to use it mostly in my summer decor thinking it reminded me of something nautical. I guess both she and Ballard were harbingers of what was to come because last year they kind of made the scene and this years the brass bells are in everyone's Christmas decor. Look at me-a trend setter! LOL


So that is the living room for this year. I will be MIA for a few days as I am having my carpets cleaned and re-stretched on Monday and I will be busy moving and emptying furniture from all 4 bedrooms this weekend. As you probably know, I keep MUCH of my holiday decor stored in the armoires and chests in the bedrooms and, since they have a lot of "breakables" the carpet cleaning company doesn't want to touch them and so.....maybe I'll take some pictures and show you what this living room looks like after it is piled high with "stuff". But, at least my carpets will have a nice fresh clean and one more thing will be off of the "list".

Have a wonderful weekend and stay safe and stay tuned.








No comments:

Post a Comment