decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Monday, July 31, 2023

Know When to Fold 'Em

 There definitely comes a time when it is best to know when to fold 'em! Such was the case with my antique roses that I have had on the trellis heading into the side yard for a very, very long time. I guess to everything there is a "time"...or, maybe I just needed to do a better job in caring for these roses. 

I actually tracked them down at a specialty garden shop a number of years ago. They are the kind of roses one wishes for. They had beauty and fragrance. But, being the "antique" variety, they required a bit more care and maintenance than I gave them and so, they finally gave up.

Back in their day, they produced some beautiful results but, that was usually right after winter as antique roses are not all that happy in the heat of our summers.



 
 
 But, lately this trellis has just looked sad and so, with my "new eyes" seeing how bad it really looked, I grabbed my clippers and headed out. And this is where we are now.


Definitely time for a good scrubbing to get all of the mold off and then a couple of coats of my favorite oil rubbed bronze spray paint before I decide its fate. I did leave the base of the roses to see if maybe they will come back but I'm pretty sure that is a lost cause...we shall see.
 
Since I was out there...and before the sweltering temperatures of the day completely took over...I did a quick survey of the gardens. The crepe myrtles are loving the rain as is my blue sky vine. The sky vine took a good hit this year from our freezing temperatures-I can't believe I'm talking freezing temperatures right now-hard to remember that that EVER happened-but is almost back to being completely filled in again. But, as much as the flowers are loving our rains, so are the weeds and ALL of the areas that I had completely WEEDLESS just a week ago, are full of the little lovelies again. I think I'll just put it on the list. Lol
 



 
And, as we were dragging garbage cans full of clippings out to the curb we passed the mailbox that I had repainted not too long ago and realized that I had never touched up the copper trim...so, out came the paint and we got it done. I only used acrylic paint as I didn't have anything else in copper so we shall see how long it lasts. The metal was kind of textured so I'm hopeful it will be OK.
 

 So, that's where I am today. We'll be heading to daughter #3's in a bit to check on the cats and the house. They are due home later today so I like things to look welcoming when they come in. They have had a very busy and eventful 5 days in NYC. They took in 2 Broadway plays and she showed the kids lots of her favorite parts of the city but the best was getting to spend some "liberty" time with my grandson before he boards the Eagle for his turn at sea before classes and football practice start at the Academy very soon. Since he is still considered a "swab", he isn't supposed to make any kind of contact until he is officially on liberty but he somehow can't help those little smiles when he sees the family making faces at him. Lol
 


 



Wishing all of the cadets safe sailing on this very impressive vessel-and smooth seas!!


No telling what I get into next but I will be sure to share. Stay safe and stay tuned.


 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment