decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Monday, September 19, 2022

Having a Dry Spell

I'm having a dry spell but it is NOT with our weather. We are still getting rain every day. The lawns all look beautiful but it is wreaking havoc with our football schedules...both JV and Varsity games were cancelled last week. Luckily, both teams have "bye" weeks on their schedules so there is a chance to make them up.

Unfortunately, I'm talking about a creative dry spell. Each year it becomes harder and harder for me to find new craft ideas. The problem is that I have been crafting for so long ( that translates as "I'm so old ), that I have done just about every idea there is...at least the ones that I like. There are still new ideas coming down the pike but, most of them are now "farmhouse" oriented. And, as much as I enjoy the farmhouse decor, most of it is simply signs or some sort of a play on a sign. I have nothing against signs but, in my opinion, there are only so many signs any one house can accommodate! And so, when I usually have all of my new Halloween crafts as well as some to be used as gifts made by this time of year...this year I have nothing.

And, believe me, it is not for lack of looking. I am constantly checking blogs and Pinterest but still haven't found anything to peak my interest. And so, when daughter #3 sent me this image and asked me if they would be hard to make, I was reminded of the book pumpkin that I made a few years ago. When I put it out this tear, I actually was thinking that it was a bit drab for my taste and this might be the last year I would be using it.

And so, when I saw these I not only saw a new and improved pumpkin but I also saw an afternoon project.

It was very obvious to me that I did not have the correct supplies to achieve this technique - which I think is beautiful! I think this was probably done with spray tints instead of paint. I know you can find tints by "Tattered Angel" in HL but, I didn't want to head out in bad weather and, even if I did, it was Sunday and they are closed.

And so, I did what my impatient self always tends to do...jump in full steam ahead. I had some orange and brown spray paint so I covered the stem and got to work.


There's no question that this would have looked nicer with a tint than spray paint...and, at this point I am also regretting gluing the pages together. I did that to get a better "splay" of the pages but it does look nicer with more pages! Of course, at this point in time there is no going back!

Once I had the embellishments back on, I am happy that I did it. It is far from perfect but I do like it having a bit more color. Maybe it has actually bought itself a bit of a reprieve and we will see it again next year. lol



If I don't find some crafting motivation soon, I am going to start my Halloween decorating. Since there's not a lot to do outside in this weather, I need to stay busy in the house and swapping out autumn for Halloween will certainly do that! Stay safe and stay tuned.





No comments:

Post a Comment