decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Friday, October 23, 2020

Moving Right Along

 I am in the middle of a little project that turned into a BIG project! I thought that would be my post today but, I am so far from being able to show you yet that I decided to just "walk away" and take you to my Halloween family room instead.





I had big plans to change up the mantle this year. I wanted to bring in the "Salem Broom Co." sign from the living room and kind of make this my "witching" area. But, as good an idea as that may have been, when the sign turned out to be way too tall, plans had to change again. This is when I decided to take down the cascading garland that I have used here for a good many years and move it into the living room. That gave me the chance to use the broom, witch's shoes and "Black Hat Society" sign on the mirror . Then, I could concentrate on my two largest witches and my haunted clock. I got the clock a few years back from Grandin Road. It comes to life from noise activation and lights up and strikes "13"! I have to remember to turn it off because, in this house, there is almost always something going on that will set it off and, it either scares or annoys the people around it! Lol

I also used this opportunity to take off some of the other things that used to live on the mantle and move them into the the TV unit shelves. Those shelves are so large that it takes a lot to decorate them and I was very happy that I could find a way to fill them without having to buy more "stuff" And, I think the mantle looks nice being a little simpler...so, a win/win!


I still love this wreath that I knocked off from one I saw in the Grandin Road catalog. If I remember correctly it was almost $300...and I didn't like it quite that much! Lol I just found an inexpensive grape vine wreath, wrapped it in black boas, used some of my loose skeleton bones and embellished with ribbons and glittery picks. I cut the hat off of a Halloween headband and embellished it with a jeweled spider that was meant to be used on a candle. The sign he is holding was a blank wood plaque that I found at WalMart. All in all, he may have cost about $35-$40. Woo-hoo!

I will admit there might just be a bit of candle "overkill" in the house right now. I have out almost every orange battery operated candles that I own and a good bit of my white ones as well. At night, when they all pop on, you might feel like you are in the bowels of a haunted house...but, that's where you want to be at this time of the year, right? I absolutely love it but I do sometimes wonder what my neighbors might be thinking when they see the house aglow from their vantage points.


They're hardly visible here but I finally used my two left over pieces of 4X4 that I cut way back when. I thought I might need something else for these shelves so I simply painted them orange, drilled in some holes and added some large "stems" and then tied a Halloween tag on to one of them. Nothing special but it helps fill one of those over sized shelves. These shelves are so deep and tall that small items simply get lost without some "back-up".


So that is the family room for this year. I'm off to see if I can't get another step in my "little" project done so I can share it all soon. Stay safe and stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment