decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Wednesday, April 17, 2019

Be Still My Heart!

If there is anything better than purple tulips this time of year, it has to be a purple hyacinth! Have I told you how much I love spring flowers? And how fabulous they smell. These beauties are currently on the kitchen bar but, as soon as I am done for the day, they are moving to the table next to my favorite chair for a night of TV watching!




Today has been another busy day but I did find time to squeeze in a few small projects.

The first involves chalk paint-which I adore. It is just the easiest paint ever to work with and it goes on anything so flawlessly. I have a small, round table in the family room that I picked up years ago. It is just perfect for that tight spot where you still need a surface for glasses or food. I can't remember where I picked this one up but it was fairly inexpensive and the wood on top is non-descript. I have always called it monkey pod wood but I'm really not sure. What I do know is that it stains and gets rings if you just look at it. And, apparently, that didn't bother me...until it did! Darn those "new eyes"!! Yesterday, I looked at it and knew I couldn't stand it another second!

Lucky for me, I had a very little bit of the chalk paint I used on the LR chair left-albeit VERY watered down. I was afraid it might not work, but true to form, the chalk paint did not disappoint!

Here's how it started...


 All I did was tape off the metal side...




...and go to town. Here it is after 1 coat. I probably only needed 2 coats because the paint was so thin.


And, here is the final product. I distressed it a bit and then gave it a slight rub with some MinWax Finishing Wax.


And then, I tackled the chair that I had painted last week. I think I told you that I just painted it without following any of the recommendations on Google...that's how I roll sometimes. I just really felt like I could soften it up at a later date. And, if I couldn't, then I would sit in that chair and not subject any of my guests to its scratchy surface.

When I finally did do a Google search, I saw most of the sites recommended sanding between paint coats. I'm not sure if that is to help with the texture, but I would think so. The fabric on my chair is very nubby so I wasn't sure this would work at all but I gave it a shot and, SUCCESS! The fabric is now soft and fairly smooth without compromising the integrity...I hope.

And then, I think I have settled on my Saturday plans with the kids. I know we are going to be dying a lot of eggs. We will do some the traditional way but I think we may try this as well:

craftymorning.com

And then, we are going to make the dessert for the Easter meal. Since we do regular cakes so often, I thought I would try to find something a little different and I think I just may have. My gang loves a cookie cake so I think we will try this:

kitchenfunwithmy 3sons.com

I am off to make my grocery list so I will be ready when the fun begins. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment