decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Thursday, July 9, 2020

Patience is a Virtue!

Patience is a virtue...but, one that I am not always in possession of. I am one of those people who, once I have made up my mind to do something, I want to do it...right now...right away. And so, this project has been a bit of a challenge for me.

It all goes back to me finding these print outs.


I truly don't remember what I was going to do with them but, I did find a pin on my Christmas Pinterest board that used a Mason jar lid to make an ornament and, since I am still looking for things to keep me busy, that sounded like a good idea.

I wanted them rusty and, since I rusted bells and wire a few years ago with no problem, I thought it would be a no-brainer. Boy, was I wrong. Apparently, the combination of things I used last time is not really good to breathe, so I tried a few other combos this time.

The one that other people said they had actually used to rust Mason jar lids with success was vinegar and salt. So that is where I started. This was promising because I could see some rust in the water...but, even after taking them out and letting them oxidize, the water was the only place that had rust.

So then, I did what I probably shouldn't have done and threw in some peroxide. I covered it quickly and put it outside for a few days. Then, it was the same oxidizing process.


They have been oxidizing for 2 days...and, I am continually hitting them with more vinegar and, I think they are finally starting to rust. They are nowhere near where I want them but I am holding out hope...and definitely running out of patience. Lol


My brother and sister-in-law came down for 4 days over the 4th holiday weekend. They helped me with so many things that I just couldn't do on my own and then convinced me to load up on some more craft supplies just in case things start to shut down again. And so, that meant a trip to HL. They were just at the very beginning of putting out their Christmas craft supplies but the one display that had been done had exactly what I was looking for...serendipity!

And so, if I ever get the lids looking the way I want, I have my next project lined up.


I was also able to get the greenery and floral foam I wanted to put together my muslin sunflower arrangement. I gotta say that the jury is still out on this one. I like the size but I don't like the size. I know, make up my mind. I just got my late summer decor done so I am living with it for a bit. If I decide I really don't like it, I will move the flowers into the shorter, wider crock. We shall see.



And then today, this happened. Grand daughter #4 finally got to "walk" for her graduation.






Pinellas County did a lovely job of celebrating the graduates from all of their high schools...and doing so in an absolutely safe manner. It isn't what anyone envisioned graduation would ever be like but, honestly, it is more than anyone thought would happen once the virus hit and it was a chance for everyone to show their love and pride for their graduate. It's official!




And so, if things go the way I plan, I will start taking pictures tomorrow of my late summer decor. You know I am so happy because this decor is mostly sunflowers...and sunflowers make me think of what the next decor change will be...autumn leaves and pumpkins! Can't happen fast enough for me! Stay safe and stay tuned.


No comments:

Post a Comment