decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Monday, April 30, 2018

My Latest Project

Our beautiful spring weather is continuing but you can feel, ever so slightly, that temperatures are beginning to rise. This is the time for big outside projects if they are going to be attempted before our brutal summer heat hits. And so, between the weather and my soon-to-begin pool reno, I knew I had to get busy on my latest "ah-ha" moment. It came to me when I was looking at the catalog of liners getting ready to finally make the decision on this:






There were so many swatches from which to choose...but then there was something else as well. There were pictures of finished pools and that was the first time I realized that they no longer use PVC coping. When our pool was built 38 years ago, it actually was "the way of the future". The vinyl liner far exceeded a gunite pool in many ways. But then, as happens, new technology improved on the gunite and vinyl is no longer "the way to go". But, for those of us who already have these pools our only choice is to tear the whole thing out and start over - which literally costs more than a whole new pool build - or maintain what is here.

So, that is when I really noticed that the new pools have an entirely different coping system. I have no idea what it is but it seems to be under the lip of the decking and not visible. I knew I couldn't go that route but then it hit me!! I could do something to make my coping less obvious and blend into the decking by painting it the same way I re-did the decking several months ago.

When I painted and finished the deck, I meticulously taped off the coping. I had very little "bleed under" but there was just enough for me to check and realize that even with a sharp blade, I could not scrape off the color. That PVC was not only old but it had been subject to Florida sun and chlorine for 38 years. It was definitely porous and had more than enough "tooth" to probably hold any paint but the stuff I am using was meant to stay so it was a no-brainer! That meant that I could paint the coping and the color would not wash off! Ah-ha!! Lucky for me, I still have some of the paint/sealer. And so, with no rain in the forecast, another project was begun!


This isn't the best picture but you can see the jarring difference in the white coping versus the painted next to the deck.


This gives you a little better idea. This was quite the project because I was trying to get every speck of PVC covered. I knew this was something I wanted to do but I knew it would be tedious and, not being the neatest painter, I knew I had to do it so any drips or slips were on the old liner not the new one. I am glad no one was watching as I was quite the scene. I literally had to be on my knees - ouch - and lean over so far, I almost tumbled in more than once. My eyes are not so good these days but I needed my glasses so see what I was doing...that is until they fell off my face and into the pool 3 times and then, just when I figured out how to hold them on with one hand and paint with they other the sun got so hot they were constantly fogged up. I took them off and this became a bit of a crap shoot. I know I'm going to have to do another second coat so I am hoping that will catch anything I may have missed.


I am truly so happy with how this turned out. My eye no longer goes straight to that hideous white coping...now, it goes to the roots creeping their way under the floor of the pool. Lol Hopefully that will soon be a thing of the past as well!


I had a wonderful weekend. Daughter #2 came down on Saturday for a visit and then spent the night so we could attend my oldest grandson's confirmation on Sunday.






After the ceremony and reception, we headed to a wonderful brunch at one of our new downtown restaurants. It was so gorgeous out that we ate outside and got to linger and just enjoy both the weather and the family! My kind of day. And to just push it over the top, my daughter shared just a "few" of her gorgeous gardenias with me!


My whole house smells so good! Don't have another big project in the works yet but you never know when inspiration will strike! Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment