decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Friday, April 13, 2018

Already Thinking...

We are still in April and I am already thinking about the next holiday and decor theme. No wonder my life seems to go by so quickly!!! In my defense, since I like a theme to be up at least a month if possible...and, since July 4th comes at the beginning of July, I will be putting out the red, white and blue by the first part of June. And so, with a rainy day predicted for this weekend, I'm already starting to think.

And, since I still have burlap and the large bottles of craft paint are on sale at HL, I'm ready to go! Now, I just need to decide which hanger I want to do. There are so many ideas on Pinterest for 4th of July burlap door hangers but, as you well know, I am a bit of a purist. I ruled out flag striped hearts ( because to me, hearts "say" Valentine's Day ) and flags - only because I already have so many flags in my decor. I do like the star but I think I am leaning towards the Uncle Sam hat...and it will probably be some sort of a play on one of these. Each one has something I like and something I'm not crazy about. I love the way the one is hung off center so I know that will happen. I also know there will be NO words.

I am leaning mostly towards this one ( that you can purchase from thepinkspeckledfrog ). I love the shape of the hat and the polka dots.


I like the way this one hangs.


I'm thinking about the two sizes of stars on the band like this one. I also like the black all the way around the outside. It really makes it "pop". I'm sure mine will come out somewhere in the middle of all of those. I usually just need to start to see where I will end up.


I have ruled these two out although they would be just as perfect - especially the star. I think I like this one because of the blue and white design and then just the pop of red added to the bow. This one is available from shoptickledpinkgifts.


The zig zag stripes on this one would be murder to paint on the very textured burlap...not to mention that they're kind of making me dizzy just looking at it. Lol This one is from SnappyPea and I just realized that the patterned areas are fabric sewn not painted on to the burlap.


 So my weekend plans are fixed. I am soon off to the yard where I have a bit of raking left to do in corners where leaves have accumulated from blowing off paths, new plants to put in and some grass seed to be scattered. But first, as promised, my next big project. At least I think it will be...estimates are not in yet.

THIS is what was happening at our house nearly 38 years ago!!


I can hardly even recognize our house...and even this pictures was after many, many changes! We were at the point where we had three growing girls and a large yard. It was time to take the "plunge" (pun intended ) and put in a pool. After many long discussions with the owner of the company, we chose to go with an 18'X36' vinyl liner, inground pool. Back then, the liner pool was all the rage. It had so many advantages over the gunite pool of 38 years ago. Of course, every 10 years or so, the liner needs to be replaced...which we have done faithfully. This year, the liner is faded but that is not the driving force behind my decision to get a new liner. ROOTS are pushing up through the soft concrete bottom and pushing their way into the pool. No one really knows where they're coming from as we had every tree removed from that side of the yard but they are there.


This is a picture of our youngest and her friend while the hole was being dug.


All ready to go. I just noticed that there is no fence. You can look right in to the 17 acres behind us. The owners of the property at that time had their own little fence and they had two horses back there. My girls always loved taking out apples and carrots and calling over the horses. We put the privacy fence up after the pool was done and the horses no longer lived back there.

 
I stopped in to our original pool building company as this is going to be a bigger job than just replacing the liner and a LOT of cool decking will be involved and, lo and behold, the same man is the owner! He came out the other day to check things out and assured me this will not be a problem...although I have yet to hear how much this "solution" will cost. These guys build the best pool in town so I am confident I will get a good job and it is not something that will go away on its own so I guess my summer will be right up my alley. After all, how many times have you heard me say I like a project? Stay tuned.





No comments:

Post a Comment