decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Saturday, April 14, 2018

I Needed a Refresher

Wow! I guess it really has been awhile since I have made a fence slat porch sign. I actually thought I had a spring one already. But, when it became obvious that I didn't and I was in search of a project, it was either this...






...or this. And, since I already had it planned to start the 4th of July door hanger tomorrow when we are still scheduled for a stormy day, I decided to go the spring route for today.

I truly didn't realize how long it had been since I have even used my Cricket machine. I was trying to make my letters larger and thicker but they weren't cutting according to the sizes I had chosen. When all else fails, read the directions and then I remembered what I was doing incorrectly. Soon I had my letters and the rest was coming back to me.


Lay out where wanted and attach with spray adhesive.


Then, hit it with a few quick coats of spray paint - which I was lucky to have in the garage - along with the dog-earred fence slat - and let it dry. I love it when a project turns out to be entirely free!!


Now comes the hardest part, at least for me...deciding what colors to use. I have to say, my first impulse was black letters so it would pop. But, I thought that may be too dreary to say spring. I actually thought of painting each letter a different pastel color - MOMENTARILY - but you know how I feel about pastels! And then it came to me. Use my old faithfuls - spring green and violet.


And so, that is what I did. And, I like it. I was going to paint some other soft, droopy kind of flowers entwined through the letters but since the letters and the one flower have such crisp, even edges, I wasn't sure how I would like the free form added. And, since this is rough wood, once something is painted on it is hard to cover it up if you don't love it. And, I just wasn't sure I would love it. And so it is as it is.


The funny thing is that when I put it out on the porch I realized that all of the flowers in the planters are green and violet as well as the flag I have now. Guess it was meant to be! Serendipity again! Lol Or maybe I'm just boringly predictable! Stay tuned.


No comments:

Post a Comment