decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Tuesday, January 9, 2024

Whew!

 Today was supposed to be the day! It was supposed to be the day that I began my post for Valentine's Day 2024 decor. I am actually ready. The puppers went home on Friday night and I began Christmas take-down bright and early on Saturday morning. Except for a few hours when grandson #1 and grand daughter #5 came by for a visit, I worked pretty non-stop for three full days. I don't ever really think of the Christmas swap out as being as difficult as it always is. There are some "red" things already out that can stay but, I guess because I use so much faux greenery, this one always wears me out more...not to mention that like Halloween, much of this decor goes back up onto the top shelves in the garage and between the ladder, the weight of these things and their bulkiness, it is always a fete if I get them where they belong!

In any case, everything else (except for the sign over my bed which I just realized hasn't been swapped yet-lol), is ready and I was going to take my pictures this morning and get the new year on the road. That is, until I woke up and realized that we are expecting some kind of really rough weather today-apparently lots of rain and high winds-and possibly tornadoes-so much so that our public schools have canceled today-which was to be our first day back after a pretty long break. I'm not looking forward to what might be coming because with all of the huge trees we have around here, high winds usually end up knocking out power...we shall see.

In any case-let's revisit where I last left off. I really didn't like that heart that I made. I wasn't 100% positive but I suspected that the colors in the print I chose had something to do with it...and, I guess I was right because as soon as I printed something more in the traditional colors of Valentine's Day...and figured out a way to take the heart apart just enough to slide in the new picture, I was happy. I added the bow to the top and then made a little tag from a small piece of muslin. I just used my small letter stamps for the XOXO design and fringed the edges just a bit before attaching it under the bow. And then, as I was emptying my Valentine bins as I decorated, I found the small little key on the wire just laying there all by itself. It obviously broke off of something but I honestly have no clue what! Nothing I found was missing a key so this is where it ended up! 

I always joke to my family that I am a purist...even in decorating. As much as I can admire blue Christmas decor or neutral Halloween decor, none of that is for me in my home. It's mostly red for Valentine's Day although a bit of pink can slip in if something is Victorian. And just like that, I love the heart...so much so that I hung it in the entry so it is really about the first thing you see as you enter.



I have a few other snips and snails to share before I sign off and go look for something to do to await this ominous weather.

I almost always start my decor take down in the living room and for Christmas, that means using the blanket chest. My husband and I bought this chest many years ago at an antique auction in High Springs, FL. We used to go up there often and I loved it because it was always full of local antique dealers also bidding. I figured that they all knew so much more than I did so if we were bidding against each other, I figured I had probably found a treasure.

The other thing I had going for me was that they would stop bidding when they got to a point where they didn't think they could make a profit on the item after doubling their price. And, that is exactly what happened with this blanket chest. I absolutely fell in love with it. It is the most beautiful green stained wood. I had no pre-conceived ideas as to how or where I would use it but I knew I really wanted it! In the end, it was not inexpensive but, when as soon as the auction was over, a very well respected antique store owner approached me and asked that if I ever tired of the chest, would I give him the first chance to buy it, I knew I did well!

And so, this beauty came home with us and I can not even tell you how much it actually holds! It holds EVERYTHING from the living room (minus garlands, pillows and candles that get stored in other places) and most of the decor from the kitchen. Just filling that beauty up gives me the most incredible head start on the day.



And, look who knew exactly when to burst out into bloom!


It is a Christmas cactus so I shouldn't be surprised but I always get a kick out of the fact that it sits in front of Valentine decor as well...since it is red, I will give it a "pass". Lol

And, that isn't the only place of confused identity...

Taking down the tree is always a chore but, this year, since I am dealing with my first faux tree-and I really have no idea for sure where it will go to be stored although daughter #3 has offered to store it at her warehouse for me if I can't figure out anything else-I was just too tired to give it a thought. And since it gets so dark so quickly these days, the lights do make the family room feel more cozy at night. I know I can't leave it forever but for now, I am embracing the absurdity of it all!

So that is really all I have for today. If the house is still standing tomorrow, it is supposed to be a lot cooler but the sun should be out and I will start the picture taking process. I'll be back again-until then, stay safe and stay tuned.


No comments:

Post a Comment