decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Thursday, May 6, 2021

Seeing Double

 Seeing double...or deja vu? This has been a really odd week. I can not do so many of the things I love for different reasons. My car could not get an appointment in the shop until next Monday so, I am home alone...lol. And, I not only don't have any new craft ideas but I also don't have a lot of supplies for special items. I always have the basics but it is hard to come up with any ideas just using paint, twine, glue sticks, glitter, etc.

So, this is where I would usually head outdoors as there is always something needing to be done in the garden. But, this week it has been brutally hot and I am not supposed to be in the sun or get over heated for awhile.

And so, once again, desperate times called for desperate measures. I found myself roaming the rooms looking for any ideas of something to do to keep me busy...and then, I saw it. When I bought the spindles to make Uncle Sam, I bought two. I was thinking ahead to maybe my grand daughter wanting to make one or even further ahead to making a witch. So, when I saw the spindle, I realized that I could make another Uncle Sam. But, I didn't want them to look too much alike.

If you remember the post of the first Uncle Sam, I had cut out a section of the spindles because he was taller then I wanted. Luckily for me, I had not thrown out those extra sections and I figured, what came out can certainly go back in. And so, with my trusty wood glue and a spot of hot glue to give it an immediate bond, I put it back together. I honestly believe that you could build a house with just wood glue. Once it dries, it is bonded forever!

Then, it is just a matter of painting...

...hitting it with some antique gel, distressing and coffee staining the cotton balls for hair. I also rigged up another hat this time using cardboard (not corrugated) cut into circles and glued together for the brim and another TP roll covered with card stock and with a piece of thin wood as the top. And, this time I added a bit of white tinsel. I also used a white paint pen to draw on some stars...so much easier than painting.

When all of that is dry, it is a simple matter of adding the eyes, buttons, hair and beard. I didn't want to use anything printed on this guy but his hat needed something so I made a tiny "messy" bow using 4th of July ribbon and red and blue shaggy yarns.

So this guy kept me busy yesterday...what's on for today? I haven't decided yet. We are supposed to get some much needed rain this afternoon - although every time I check the forecast, the rain window gets smaller and smaller - so, maybe I will use it as a rainy, movie day and catch up on some of my favorites on Netflix or Amazon. We shall see where the day takes me! The way things are going, I might be decorating for the 4th of July much sooner than I had planned. Lol Stay safe and stay tuned.







No comments:

Post a Comment