decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Monday, December 3, 2018

Ho Ho Ho! Finally!

Wow...my life-and I'm sure yours as well-seems to just be flying by these days. I started decorating for Christmas 9 days ago and between one thing or another, it took me until yesterday to finally get it all done! Today is dark and gloomy, so my pictures leave much to be desired but I really wanted to get started posting this year's decor before life takes another turn and I'm MIA again.

Let's start where we always do, the front porch. If it stays dry tonight, I will try to get a picture of the whole house lit up with the icicle lights. Grandson #1 came over yesterday and between the two of us, we got them up! We had to do a bit of jerry rigging so this year when I take them down, I'm going to take a few minutes and see if I can't get the light wires back where they belong...and, if not, maybe I can grab some new ones at "after Christmas" prices!



I was very excited when I walked into the WalMart garden center the other day and saw this huge display of fresh wreaths for $8! One was prettier than the other. I grabbed one up but am now wishing I had grabbed a few more for the other windows out front-may need to make another trip. I took off the ugly bow that always comes on them and added my own of grosgrain. Then I picked up 2 picks (50% off) and the little metal sign (also 50% off) at HL and "zhuzhed" it up a bit.


When I looked at this quickly, it looked like my basket was full of oranges. Trust me when I tell you it is my 2 PB mercury glass orbs full of clear twinkly lights.
 


The Christmas ornament is something I found at Wal-Mart also. It was meant to be a yard sign but I just thought the colors and "theme" went perfectly in this basket. All of my greenery looks a little skimpy-that's because it is! Lowes started trimming the trunks of their tress before shipping them to the stores this year so there aren't many clippings to be had. After 3 trips to different stores, I got enough to do my initial decorating and have a fairly full bucket of fresh branches waiting for back up when these get a bit dry.


I think this is my only new decoration this year-except for some new faux pine branches and the above ornament. I got it from an online shop called Decor Steals. As soon as I saw it come in, I snatched it up. I had seen a Santa mailbox last year from the Magnolia line at Target and I didn't get it right away because it was a bit pricey. When I finally decided that I deserved it (LOL), I went back and it was gone. I wasn't going to take that chance again. I actually think I like this one better except that it can't sit on a table top and must be hung. As I look at the picture, I think it's crying out for a bit of greenery and maybe a letter to Santa sticking out...we'll see what I can do about that.






I'm always amazed when I put out this Santa cross stitch that I made a number of years ago-not that I made it but that my eyes were ever good enough to see 22 ct embroidery cloth! I also always love putting out the little runner that was given to me by my mother-in-law oh so many years ago. She had them all over her house so when she made a visit to Norway one year, she brought me one back. I love the tradition of using it every year. When she passed away, my girls all got one as well so that the tradition can continue in their homes.






I also love the dough bowl full of ornaments that belonged to my parents and in-laws. Sure wish more of them had survived over the years!









So we have begun the tour. Hope to be back soon with a bit more. After my grandson's All-Star game on Saturday, we are FINALLY officially done with Football-for this year-and on to Christmas full steam ahead!! Stay tuned.



No comments:

Post a Comment