decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Thursday, December 13, 2018

Counting Down!

I definitely feel as if I am on the final countdown. I have had 2 days this week to start getting all of my so called ducks in a row.

I had a wonderful weekend in Gainesville! On Friday night we met my brother and sister-in-law for dinner at the Town of Tioga. As well as enjoying a wonderful meal, we got to see many beautiful lights.

Then, bright and early on Saturday morning, Becky and I were off to breakfast and then a day of shopping. It is amazing how much easier shopping is with someone to bounce ideas off of-as well as someone who understands technology and what some of the things the kids are asking for really are...and where to find them. Plus, for the things we couldn't find locally, she is a whiz at ordering online!

Once the list was pretty much checked off, she surprised me with a wine tasting at a wonderful gourmet shop and bakery. It was a lovely way to end the day...and then we went back to her house for this...and Hallmark movies-so many to watch, so little time!



I got home early Sunday afternoon and started the gift wrapping process. I have always enjoyed wrapping gifts so this is never a chore...just gather the supplies and watch another movie-or two! Lol My tree is definitely starting to look a little less lonely!



And then I took a deep breath and started a project that always makes me uncomfortable-flower arranging-sort of. Anything to do with putting artificial stems together always scares me. I am just really not good at it. But, that being said, I had it in my mind that I wanted a mailbox swag this year and, when I couldn't find one anywhere-seems like lots of people wanted mailbox swags this year-, I decided the next best thing was to buy a swag frame and do it myself.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find a frame either so I did the next best thing-I jerry rigged this:


...into this:



It's simply amazing what miles of wire can do! Lol I'm not sure this will be around next year, but it fills the bill for a nice pop of color on the mailbox!

And just when I was looking at the house and feeling pretty proud of myself, I noticed about 5 single strings of icicle lights out-not a whole string, not even a half of a string-just about 5...which happen to be right at the point on the gable. I have been up and down the ladder more times than I care to admit to see if I can find a loose bulb or one that may be burned out-even though the rest are supposed to stay on-and, I just can't get them to work. I even tried the old tried and true method of popping them with a broom stick but NO luck. At this point, I am just going with the flow. Maybe when I take them down I will see if I can figure it out but for now, I'm going to pretend that I don't see them!


I have also managed to get some cookies baked-with varying forms of success. Seems as if the convection option on my oven has finally given up all together and the regular oven is back to working right on temp-ask me how I know that! After having to crank my thermostat up 20 degrees on the regular oven for many years, I just did that automatically when the convection died -only to completely burn 3 trays of cookies. Oh well, the other thing I'm really not good at is baking-there is always a story-meaning that I forgot an ingredient, used the wrong ingredient, etc.-when I am near the oven!!

Thought as long as you were here, I would throw in the last of the Christmas decor pictures. Not too many left. I still love the sign I made last year and with the pillow I found, I can just hear Santa calling to me every time I climb into bed!




 I enjoy decorating the guest rooms and bathrooms because they give me a place to use many of the Santas I have made over the years but don't use in the main parts of the house any more. I just can't somehow bring myself to say good-bye to them all just yet.


I just realized that there are no lights in the sunroom this year. Since it took me this long to realize it, I guess I can go with it!


My grand children wouldn't think it was Christmas at Nana's without the Angel Chimes. They love them as much as I always did as a child!



 I always like to add a few things to each of the girl's old rooms-which are now our 3 guest rooms-when they come for the holidays. I scatter around their Santa pictures from when they were young as well as a Santa or two and always a vase of fresh pine so their rooms smell as good as the rest of the house this time of year.



And, I still put out the Barbie tree that we bought when our first grand daughter just discovered how much she loved playing with these dolls. This very pink tree is in Jen's old room that now houses the bunk bed and trundles. Usually all of the girls will find a way to squeeze in here but this weekend they will probably all sleep in the family room in front of the tree and fire as they fall asleep to favorite Christmas movies!







So that is the tour this year-and I am finishing up just in time. Tomorrow grand daughter #3 arrives at my house straight from Flagler. She is going to spend the night and go to Harrison's All-Star (yes, there is ONE more football game) game with me. Then on Saturday morning the rest of our grand daughters will arrive for our Nutcracker weekend. This is a long standing tradition and I am so excited that we will have everyone here again this year-with their schedules these days, I'm never sure how many will actually be free but it seems as if they cherish it as much as I do and so far, we have always made it work.

Then on Sunday, daughter #2 and her two girls and I are off to St. Pete for daughter #1's Christmas Cookie Exchange. It will be a short but fun trip. And, as if that wasn't enough excitement, I will be back on my way to St. Pete on Thurs. with daughter #3 and her 3 children for a few more days of pre-Christmas fun! If there were only no jobs and school to factor in, we could all go down together and just stay-Lol.

By the time I return, I will be hustling to get everything pulled together for the big day. I will be going to church and having dinner with daughter #3 and her family on Christmas Eve. Then, Jen will host on Christmas day as everyone gathers here in town and we will do our big celebration at my house the next morning. I tell you, it takes a social secretary to co-ordinate all of the myriad schedules these days but I savor every time we can all be together no matter what the date says on the calendar!

I will be back soon because all of my future adventures will give me lots of photo ops. I hope everyone is enjoying all of the pre-holiday fun as much as I am. Stay tuned.





No comments:

Post a Comment