decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Wednesday, September 18, 2019

Finally I Get to Play!!

It has been a week of doctors and tests-which, sadly, I have come to accept as I get older. I am definitely NOT a doctor kind of person-some might say I have "white coat" syndrome. Not sure about that but I will say medical facilities are not my happy place. But, there are some tests that my GP insists on and I trust him...so I do as he says. Happily everything is clear and I am "free" for at least six more months!

In any case, all of that running and prep kept me from any of my crafting. I have told you many times before, I like to start projects bright and early in my day. I am not one to come home after a busy morning and dive into a craft project. I love crafting and like to take my time. And so, with today lying totally errand and appointment free for me, I am going to start a small project. Then, later in the week I will head out to pick up the wood for some of the other things I am dying to try.

Can you guess what I'm doing today?


Yep, it is one of my favorite no-brainer crafts - fragranced soaps. I have been "making" soaps for many, many years in every shape, size, color and scent. This actually isn't "making" soap - which involves lye and many more steps than I care to take. It is melt and pour...and for my purposes, the end result is just fine.

I will say that back in the day, I had all sorts of molds and made many complicated, layered soaps. But my tastes have changed and I am fine these days with either just a simple shape ( heart, shamrock, leaf, etc. ) or a bar full of beautiful fragrance. So the bar is what it will be today. I just want to wrap it up simply and use it as an add on to my Halloween gifts this year.

It is almost embarrassing to post this as a bit of a tutorial because this is about the only real step...cut soap into cubes and melt following directions on the soap package. Then, add in whatever you want. In this case, I used pumpkin pie spice - which not only gave it a lovely smell but also helped with the color and the little bits of texture you see, 2 drops of orange and 1 drop of burgundy colorant and a dropper full of autumn fragrance oil. I did end up grabbing a whisk to get the pie spice blended in because it definitely clumps when the powder hits the melted soap.


That is when this little cutie becomes your best friend...a spray bottle with a very soft mist nozzle full of  rubbing alcohol. Once you have whisked the soap, it is inevitable that you will have bubbles and a light misting with the alcohol will pop them all.


I used half of the block of soap which equals one pound and will make four of the bars from the mold I am using. I chose shea butter soap this time but have used both the clear glycerin and goat's milk soaps in the past. It kind of depends on the style you are after. I actually chose this one this time because I had it in my stash from some other holiday soap that I never got to. But, I think it also gives the soap that soft orange color and kind of primitive feel I am wanting.


Here are the first four poured and drying. Sometimes I put them in the frig to rush their hardening a bit but today I am going to have lunch and see where they are when I return. Then it will be a simple matter of repeating the same thing again until I have eight bars.



The second set is hardening and the first set has been popped out. When I first started making these soaps so many years ago, the instructions I read said to cure the soaps for several days on a cookie cooling rack. I have mostly done this but when I am in a hurry and rush this step, I always end up with some condensation in my wrappings. Since I have more than enough time this time, I am going to let them thoroughly dry before I wrap them up.


And, speaking of wrapping them up...I was going to wrap them in some pretty autumn wrap and that is what I had pulled. Until I heard myself telling you that they were Halloween add-ons. What was I thinking? If this was going with my witch pictures, it had to be wrapped in Halloween paper. Not to worry as I had more than enough to choose from. These are my choices right now but I reserve the right to change my mind if it doesn't look like I am thinking it will. Lol


It is 24 hours later and the soap seems to be cured enough so it is time to wrap them up. I chose the darker web paper because I like the contrast against the lighter soap. I then tied them with some orange and black twine that I found at the Target $ Spot a few years ago. And then, I added the spider...just because I could. Lol 



They smell so good and I think they're pretty cute. They will make the perfect little add on to the other Halloween gift I made. Now that I've got my crafting juices flowing again, I will be back with more as soon as I get some supplies. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment