decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Candy is Dandy....

Can you say sugar high? I picked the kids up Thursday morning and we have been having so much fun. I have just a few minutes while the two youngest are sleeping, so I wanted to share a bit - believe me, you will see the rest at a later date. But the "funnest" project we have done is making the conversation hearts. Any one with children should try this. It is a relatively "clean" project - sort of like Play Doh even thought you are using sugar.


I got the recipe I used from About.com.candy. The recipe said to use a few drops of coloring and flavoring. Because I was worried that the extract would give too strong a flavor, I adhered to the recipe. The mint and orange flavors are delicious, the lemon a bit too weak and the cherry flavoring totally missing. When I do these again, I will make adjustments.

The hardest part of this project was that you had to make the candy one day and then let it dry over night before you could write on it. That is what the kids were really anxious to do.

As you can see by the pictures, they all had a good time. Our initial plan was to use these as gifts, but after the amount of "fingering" they got - not to mention Presley chewing on the rolling pin - we decided it might be better not to share...candy or germs!








Here is Presley working so hard on one of her candies. Interesting how none of hers made it to the plate. That is because she was too fast for me and they all made it into her mouth before I saw what was happening!

If you are looking for a gourmet treat, these might not be for you, but both the kids and I had so much fun with this, that we will definitely do it again. Wouldn't anybody be won over with the plate below?

No comments:

Post a Comment