decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Sunday, December 10, 2023

Finally!!

After many delays, the tree finally arrived...and, of course, there is a tale to tell but first, let's go into the family room-finally-now that it is as complete as it is going to get.



This year I went ahead and added the Santas that I made from beeswax many, many years ago. I thought they looked cute with more bottle brush tress and I haven't had them out for awhile. It's kind of like seeing old friends.






I still love this Santa that I made way back when women's magazines shared patterns for so many things.



Both of the Nutcracker pillows on the couch were gifts given to serve as reminders of the many, many times we took all of our grand daughters to see the ballet and then on to a special evening downtown. We would still be doing it if the school that put on our favorite production was still doing it. It was a lovely tradition that we were sorry to see stop. I also just heard that our favorite horse and carriage rides around the square are no longer happening this year-have I told you how much I dislike change? Lol



So now the unveiling of my first ever faux tree. I am not going to say that this isn't going to take some getting used to. As you know, I don't like change and I have never had a faux tree so this was a high hurdle for me to overcome. But, it just seemed to be the right time. Since I couldn't find one locally that "fit the bill", I had to order online and if you know me, you know that this is not my favorite thing to do. I like to see, feel, etc. what I am buying before I buy it but....and so began the tree saga of 2023. There is almost always a story with my life events and this was no exception. The delivery date changed 5 times and then went to "pending" with no date available for 2 days but, while I was out of town it finally got delivered.

By the time I got home it was well after 8 and we had had a super busy day so I left the opening until Saturday morning. Yikes!!! All of the things I hoped it would not be, it is! It took me 3 hours to "fluff"-I am actually still tweaking that but that is just my OCD self. I finally decided that there was NO way I could get all of the gaps filled in-as it appears to be in the picture from the site where it was ordered-and, honestly, real trees have their share of gaps as well, so I'm learning to accept it with all of its flaws.

I will never love it as much as a real tree-I definitely miss the smell-but, it just makes the most sense for where I am in life at this point. Of course, there is no way I will be able to cram it back in the box it came in and it weighs 51 pounds so I probably won't be able to put it up on the top garage shelf that I had planned on but, that will be a question for a later date-one dilemma at a time. Lol




I am really glad that I went with 7.5' and 60" diameter. As one of my grand children said, "it actually looks just like the trees you always get". And she is right. If you stand far enough away, tilt your head just right and squint your eyes...Lol

In any case, now I need to move on to the rest of the holiday-like getting my cookies baked, buying and wrapping presents, etc.

Throwing in just a few pictures from our traditional Christmas trip to Eustis and Mt. Dora. Jen, Presley and I had so much fun and actually got a fair amount of shopping done as well. And, of course, it doesn't hurt that both of these small towns get decked out like a Hallmark movie...so much fun!






I think there is only a bit of the tour left but it will have to wait a few days as this is looking like a busy, fun week. Tomorrow an old friend is coming for the day and then I also have a hair appointment and some errands for Tuesday and then a luncheon at daughter #3's on Wednesday. She thought it would be fun to have two of her high school friends and their moms along with me and herself for a reunion kind of day. The girls were close when younger and that meant we moms were friends as well but, as life will do, we only occasionally see each other these days so it should be fun to have a chance to catch up. Until then, stay safe and stay tuned.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment