decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Thursday, January 2, 2014

Keeping It Real...


...Christmas style. Let me start by wishing everyone a Happy New Year. Then let me say, I am not  much for New Year celebrations. Maybe I am just too tired from all of the December goings-on by then. We did used to watch the celebration from NYC and throw some confetti and bang lids, etc. at midnight but somehow that seems kind of silly these days with just hubby and me. And to tell the truth, we hardly ever stay awake to see the new year in any more.

And so, I don't have any fabulous posts about that but I have been enjoying the solitude of these days after Christmas to reflect on many things - some as silly as how much I love poinsettias. That's right. Even though I am not a tropical flower kind of girl, I have to be surrounded by poinsettias at this time of year.

And, I think I have posted before how I really don't like faux flowers or greenery - and yet, sometimes the silks work out better than the real thing.





So these are some of the silk poinsettias I have around the house this year. I can't tell you how many people actually reached out to check a few of these blooms to see if they were the real thing. The thing I like about them is that they can sit anywhere I want them - not just where conditions are optimum for ideal bloom. Most of the places where I want these plants are not ideal.


Here are a few of the poinsettias I have outdoors and they were happy where they were.


But, in all honesty, this is what most of the real ones are looking like right about now. Since I don't like tropical plants in my landscape, I don't plant these and they just get tossed as decorations come down so this doesn't bother me. I will continue to enjoy all of my "fauxs" until I take down decorations - probably at the first of next week. Until then, I will continue to reflect on all of the little things about Christmas that go by the wayside while we are so busy rushing around to get ready for the day. I have to remember to take time to stop and "smell the poinsettias". Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment